Re: [K12OSN] I need to make Flash work faster....wanna pitch

Peter,
Ran the site on a athlon64 3500 (actually probably running around 3700, I love to boost things) and on just the server -otherwise idle, it was sucking up 27% of the CPU.

A few things:
1) I opened just the game animation in a separate window - found the url in the page source. If you are unfamiliar on how to do this, let me know. All my years of html finally paid off ; -). This eliminates all the Flash animation menus and ads which helps but still had my CPU use up to about 22-23%.

2) When just the animation in its own window is up, you can right click on it and select the "quality". It comes at "high quality" which is easy to understand why - the backgrounds are in gradients, etc. Reducing the quality to low, drops the CPU use to about 6-8% iirc. I'm not sure why I couldn't do this in the original window - I'm not sure if the animation was in a layer or you just can't do it if it's embedded in html and not standing alone.

So... I don't know if there is a way to force Flash to run animations in low quality mode. And I don't think you can get a bunch of young kids to right click the animation either. Again, I don't know if Disney's site designers would offer a low rez version, too. Does anyone know of a way to force Flash Player preferences?

You could preload it for the kids by just opening the animation and right clicking and adjusting the quality. But that would be a pain to repetitively do, I'm sure. Otherwise? I think its a case of Flash designers who pushed the animation towards those with reasonably powerful desktops. I'd think even a low to middling Celeron would struggle to do much more than just play this animation on a normal desktop.

Regards,
William Fragakis
morrisbrandon.com

I did. That's how I came up with 70% for the culprits.  It's pretty
much any game on the Disney site.  Could someone try this one so I can
compare?

http://disney.go.com/disneychannel/playhouse/koalabrothers/games/ planegame.html

  I wonder if the nice could be applied to this problem.  Is there
away to make the flash plugin show up as a process to be niced?