[K12OSN] I need to make Flash work faster....wanna pitch

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Tue Dec 6 20:00:44 UTC 2005

Peter,
Ran the site on a athlon64 3500 (actually probably running around 3700,
I love to boost things) and on just the server -otherwise idle, it was
sucking up 27% of the CPU.

A few things:
1) I opened just the game animation in a separate window - found the
url in the page source. If you are unfamiliar on how to do this, let me
know. All my years of html finally paid off ; -). This eliminates all
the Flash animation menus and ads which helps but still had my CPU use
up to about 22-23%.

2) When just the animation in its own window is up, you can right click
on it and select the "quality". It comes at "high quality" which is
easy to understand why - the backgrounds are in gradients, etc.
Reducing the quality to low, drops the CPU use to about 6-8% iirc. I'm
not sure why I couldn't do this in the original window - I'm not sure
if the animation was in a layer or you just can't do it if it's
embedded in html and not standing alone.

So... I don't know if there is a way to force Flash to run animations
in low quality mode. And I don't think you can get a bunch of young
kids to right click the animation either. Again, I don't know if
Disney's site designers would offer a low rez version, too. Does anyone
know of a way to force Flash Player preferences?

You could preload it for the kids by just opening the animation and
right clicking and adjusting the quality. But that would be a pain to
repetitively do, I'm sure. Otherwise? I think its a case of Flash
designers who pushed the animation towards those with reasonably
powerful desktops. I'd think even a low to middling Celeron would
struggle to do much more than just play this animation on a normal
desktop.

Regards,
William Fragakis
morrisbrandon.com