[K12OSN] How to make your users love Linux

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 01:15:56 UTC 2005

On 12/6/05, Toshio Kuratomi <toshio at tiki-lounge.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 09:24 -0800, Huck wrote:
> > powerful is all fine and dandy ;)
> > I prefer simplicity, PINE...many dislike pine for sure.
> > But like I say when I see a Lotus or Ferrari cruise'n down the road
> > at 65 mph... "What a waste of power if you aren't going to use it."
> > And my mail habits are quite simplex like the majority of email users,
> > thus, I don't feel that anyone will fall in love with Linux because of
> > the MUTT mail client.
>
> pine is like vanilla ice cream.  If you've never had another kind of ice
> cream you can easily say it's everything you need.  But if you try
> enough of the other gadzillion flavours you're going to find there's
> something you like even more because vanilla is just too basic.  Mutt is
> significantly more complex than pine, but it has many _necessary_
> features that pine just lacks.  Once you've learned to use those
> features, there's no way to go back.

Actually.. it is a much more complicated relationship. layout, feel,
features and speed are all things that people look at when using a
product. There is something personal in those choices and trying to
compare them is at some point impossible due to the objectivity.

I know this from the silliness of having tried to switch from pine
many times. I used mutt for a month straight and found that for its
extra features, its gui and feel of editing were so different that I
never got to liking it. At the end of the month, I went back to pine
because it just speaks to me better. Not everyone can be a Mac user, a
Linux user or a Windows user (thank goodness).

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator