[K12OSN] phpSANE - how to get it working?

Jon Spriggs jon.spriggs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 14:11:05 UTC 2005

Here's some stuff to try.

1) Set a password on the Apache user (once you've done your testing,
you should edit the /etc/passwd file and replace the ! with a *). Log
in as apache, then run scanimage, and see what errors (if any) you
get.

2) If that works OK, then it might be an issue with the temp folders
that it's writing to. Have a read through of the script file that
actually scans the image, and see where it's writing the file to. If
it's somewhere obvious, check the permissions to that location. With
your logged in user, try creating a file in that path.

3) If all else still fails, lookup how to make a file suid root. It
should be fairly straight forwards (Remember - Google is your friend!
:) ) so check it out and then try running it up again. If it still
doesn't work, then you've got problems that you should probably
address with the script author!

Hope that helps :)

Jon "The Nice Guy"

On 07/12/05, Gentgeen <gentgeen at linuxmail.org> wrote:

> I know I am the one that suggested it -- and I even have done some work
> on it (translations, documentation stuff, nothing major)....
>
> I feel bad now though, cause I have no clue how to help you out :-)
>
> I just installed it, and it ran fine....  Hope someone else can help you
> out on this.  One thing I would say though is to watch the Apache logs
> while doing it.  Might lead you in the right direction.
>
> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:56:05 +0000
> John Hegarty <jh at clongowes.net> wrote:
>
> > Had a look at phpsane today as I liked the idea of linking the scanner
> > up to the network.
> >
> > SANE is working and I can scan pictures ok through gimp etc.
> > php and apache are both working too.
> >
> > I'm on k12ltsp 4.4.1
> >
> > I can't get phpSANE working though. I've tried versions 0.3.3 and
> 0.4.1
> > but with no success. when you click on "scan" a popup comes straight
> > away with a picture to open or save but the file is empty.
> >
> > The README suggested ;
> >
> >    "Make sure that your apache user is able to scan with scanimage.
> >     Your apache user must have write-access to your scanner device,
> too.
> >     Another way to solve this problem is installing scanimage
> > +suid-root."
> >
> > but I don't know how.
> >
> > Can anyone point the way?
> >
> > jh