[K12OSN] Firefox question

Brad Thomas bthomas at psysolutions.com
Wed Dec 7 16:37:37 UTC 2005

I've always found it easier and much quicker to block items locally than
relying on someone else to get things put in place.  In my company,
everything goes through a Corporate filter as well, but there's been too
many times when I've seen some sites go through that I know shouldn't.
Having a proxy/filter setup locally, I am more able to fine tune things
for this facility than Corporate is able to do.  And, when I come in
during the morning and go over my reports and see a website that was
accessed, I can clamp that down in 5 minutes, without having to go
through the redtape and the delay of going through someone else, who may
or may not be too busy to get it done that day.

Another advantage of having something setup locally is that you're able
to CYA.  Meaning, you can provide some protection for the local users
whereas your District supervisors may not be as forgiving for some
violations.   It'll  also prevent you from getting blindsided by them
asking you out of the blue about certain activity that you might be
unaware was taking place.

But, I suppose it's all up to whatever you feel more comfortable doing.