[K12OSN] SME remote access using IE

Larry McPherson lmcpherson at mail.sumner.k12.me.us
Wed Dec 7 17:43:11 UTC 2005

This is even easier ---- THANKS ---- it works flawlessly.

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf
Of David Trask
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:02 PM
To: Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] SME remote access using IE

Even easier....in remote access panel at the top....set the network and
subnet to 0.0.0.0 and that will allow you access via
https://nameorip-of-server/server-manager

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tue Dec  6 2005 at 12:22 +0000 wrote:
>On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 11:00, Larry McPherson wrote:
>> I would like to configure my SME box so that I can use IE or Firefox
>for the
>> server-manager, from a remote location - outside the local network.
>>
>> This question is not directly related to K12LTSP - but I was hoping
>someone
>> can point me to a how-to.
>
>First be sure your admin password is not a dictionary word, then enable
>ssh access on the external port through server-manager.
>
>>From outside use:
>ssh -L980:localhost:980  your_server
> log in as root with the admin password
>point your browser at http://localhost:980
>
>In the ssh window you can also use 'su - admin' to pop into the console
>menu and exiting from there will drop you back to the root prompt.
>You can also use putty on windows to set up the ssh tunnel
>by going to the tunnel dialog and using 980 local, localhost:980
>as the remote side before connecting.
>
>You can also enable VPN connections and use a PPTP VPN from a
>windows box outside but the ssh tunnel takes less setup and
>works from anything.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School