[K12OSN] Setting Open Office 2.0 to save as a Doc by default.

Paul VanGundy vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Thu Dec 8 11:22:50 UTC 2005

Glenn,

In our district we have OpenOffice 2.0 save as .doc automatically. We
really did this for two reasons.

1. When we introduced OpenOffice staff were unsure of it. We had
previously been using Office 2000 and 2003. If we were going to get
staff to use it and like it we need to make it as simple and easy to use
and compatible with what they already have at home. We are giving them
OOo2.0 to use at home but that is there choice if they chose to use it.
Other school districts in New Hampshire use the .doc format as does the
State of New Hampshire DOE so when we send documents we need to ensure
they are in the same format. Often times, users won't check what format
they are saving in and if it's not automatically set to .doc they will
send an .odt to the state and it will get sent back causing frustration.
It's just easier to have it automatically set for the user.

2. We tech people have other things we have to do then get
troubleshooting calls on OpenOffice.org 2.0 and how it won't save
in .doc and only saves in .odt (because they can't figure out how to).
We also don't have much time to train the users how to use it so we set
it up to automatically save documents in .doc, spreadsheets in .xls, and
presentations in .ppt.

Hope this helps.

-Paul

--