[K12OSN] barcode scanner via usb

David Neimeyer admin at bookpeople.com
Thu Dec 8 22:04:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 11:32 -0600, David Neimeyer wrote:
> hello all,
>
> We have a few Metrologic Orbit scanners (ms7120) which have the usb
> interface.  I'd like to use them on our thin clients.  Do I need to
> provide extra parameters in the lts.conf?
<snip>

Okay, sorry to answer my own post, but after checking some message logs,
I think I found my problem and wanted to share:

The barcode reader was loading (modules/driver) properly on every
machine. However it appears that when power is supplied via the power
cord (which plugs into the usb data cable) the device power cycles and
doesn't load the custom configuration properly/consistantly.  The result
is random input instead of preamble;barcode;postamble.  So I simply let
the device receive power via the usb data cable for the Linux
environments (fyi: the device must use the power cord in win98, the last
OS my device saw service with).

Seems too simply, but I'll take it!
Best Regards,
-dave