[K12OSN] K12LTSP with iMac terminal

Rob Beard rob at esdellecomputers.co.uk
Sun Dec 11 15:04:11 UTC 2005

Hi folks,

I'm new to the list, but have been using LTSP on Debian 3.1 with a PC
and Mac terminal.

Now with a couple of friends on in my local LUG, we're trying to
introduce the local schools in our area to Open Source software.

One of the guys I've been speaking to mentioned the K12LTSP distro.  I
figured it was worth having a look to see how it differs to my existing
LTSP installation on Debian 3.1

So far, it seems to be running well.  I was quite impressed with the
ease of installation and setup.  At the moment I have the K12LTSP server
running on VMWare due to a lack of spare PCs.

The PC terminals are working fine (both a virtual terminal in VMWare and
one of my usual LTSP terminals.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the Mac though.  It will load the
kernel fine and boot from the network.  The problem I'm having is it
won't come up with the login screen.  All I am getting is the grey
screen with the black X and the mouse works okay (well I can move the
pointer!)

I have tried changing the lts.conf to put a shell on screen 2 which
appears to be okay.  The machine is picking up an IP address in DHCP and
seems to be running okay.

Just wondering if any of you guys have had anything similar happen?

Regards,

Rob