[K12OSN] *AntiVirus Solution*

Robert Mortimer rmortimer at bluechiptechnology.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 15:25:26 UTC 2005

> All,
>
> Do any of you use ClamAV or KlamAV as your sole antivirus solution in
> your organizations? We have used Symantec, which we left, and are
> currently using Sophos Anti-Virus since it runs on Macs, Windows and
> Linux. However, Sophos doesn't handle infected files very well. Instead
> of quarantining the files it leaves them where they are and just informs
> the administrator that the computer/user has an infected file. Not an
> acceptable solution for our environment.

The "on access" Sophos notification bans access files it does not perform a
scan/cleanup.
Sophos can be set to do a scheduled scan, this does provide clean up
actions.
Sophos can also be used to clean incoming e-mail streams and reject infected
mail.
(we were using it with sendmail/Mime-defang)
On access is useful as is stops propagation between full scans (it is not
provided by Clam under windows but can be provided using clam SAMBA on your
file server).

Note people who activate an "on access" scan event may not (should not) have
the permissions needed to move viruses about our network, any clean up for
"on access" would have to be done under these permissions. If that includes
sending to quarantine that implies access to you quarantine store, you
really do not want to go there. That is why you set up correct permissions
and use them for a scheduled scan.