Re: [K12OSN] HELP: can there be two samba servers in one domain?

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 14:51, john wrote:

> I am sort of amazed the more I look into this. As far as I can tell,
> Multiple boxes running Samba really don't have a native way to share a
> single backend via AD.  I'd love to be wrong about this. I am sort of
> thinking out loud here, perhaps it will help me or someone else who
> has this problem in the future.

There's always brute force: create the accounts yourself on the
Linux side and copy the password file entries for uid >500
and the corresponding /etc/shadow, /etc/group, and /etc/gshadow
entries across the servers.  If you start out with webmin it
can do this for you.  Then they can all use the AD just for
authentication by setting "password server" in /etc/samba/smb.conf
and setting up smb authentication in authconfig.

Are you planning to spread home directories over different servers
or having some shared group r/w directories on the additional
machines?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell gmail com