[K12OSN] two samba servers. . .same machine

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Dec 13 17:35:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 09:11, Doug Simpson wrote:
> Is it possible to have two different samba servers runnin on the same
> physical computer?
>
> I have a sever dying and need to maintain connectivity for the computers
> that connect to it. It does not do autoentication, but it does have it's
> own name and has some shares available that need to be online.
>
> Example:
>
> \\serverone does authentication and login scripts, most shares, etc
>
> \\servertwo has shares that contain programs run by some users.
>
> I need \\serverone to point at it's regular samba servername and
> \\servertwo to point to a second samba server running on the same physical
> computer as \\serverone is on.
>
> It possible?

It may depend on your windows clients.  XP and 2000 will connect to DNS
names as well as netbios names and a samba server doesn't care what you
call it - you can even connect by IP address.  If you have DNS set up
for your local domain, add a DNS CNAME for servertwo pointing to the
serverone name.  I think this will work for Win98SE and may have been
a checkbox item in the DNS setup for earlier versions (resolve netbios
names with dns).

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com