[K12OSN] Help with yum update error

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Dec 14 08:06:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Paul Zagoridis wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I'm trying to get my head around this error for a few days without success. I
> basically can't run yum update
>
> I've tried (without success) # yum remove k12ltsp-extras
> then manually install the missing dependency # rpm -ivh (all three
> dependencies)
> followed by  # yum install k12ltsp-extras
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome. We don't use IceWM either.
>

> # yum update
> Repository extras is listed more than once in the configuration
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> core                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> dries                     100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> freshrpms                 100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> k12ltsp                   100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> webmin                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> newrpms.sunsite.dk        100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> updates                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package icewm.i386 0:1.2.23-1.2.fc4.rf set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: icewm-l10n for package: k12ltsp-extras
> --> Processing Dependency: icewm-themes for package: k12ltsp-extras
> --> Processing Dependency: icewm-menu-gnome2 for package: k12ltsp-extras
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: icewm-l10n is needed by package k12ltsp-extras
> Error: Missing Dependency: icewm-themes is needed by package k12ltsp-extras
> Error: Missing Dependency: icewm-menu-gnome2 is needed by package
> k12ltsp-extras

I see that you are using a couple of third-party repositories. The
conflict, in your case, comes from the "dries" repository you added.

I try to make sure that the K12LTSP repositories do not conflict with
the freshrpms, livna, and fedora extras repositories. K12LTSP ships
with /etc/yum.repo.d/*.repo files for all three, but only fedora extras
is turned on by default.

If you use a repository other than freshrpms, livna, or fedora extras
with the K12LTSP repository, you run the risk of such conflicts.

Yumex, the gui for yum, has pretty good support for dealing with this.
You can create different profiles, you can create a non-default profile
that includes third party repositories. You can update off the default
profile, then select the third-party profile to see if there are any
updates there - and select just the specific packages that you need
from those third-party repositories.

As for IceWM, I had already packaged the latest version, but so far
had only done 64bit builds (since that's what I'm working on right now).
I built 32bit update packages for K12LTSP 4.4.x and loaded them into
the repository. Not sure if that'll help or not, since I didn't test
them against the "dries" repository ;-)

-Eric