[K12OSN] ROOT user is lockout!

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 11:08:29 UTC 2005

In general, no matter what you screw up, you can fix
it by booting from a Knoppix cd.  Go to
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
if you don't have a Knoppix cd already -- everybody
should have one of these!

Once booted, you'll mount your hard drive by
double-clicking the hard drive icon on the desktop.
You can then edit any files you previously screwed up.
 You can also run commands on your screwed-up system
by using the chroot command.

Note that Knoppix respects the permissions on your
hard drive.  If a file on your hard drive is owned by
root, you will need to become root in Knoppix in order
to edit it.  I forget how to do this graphically, but
you can open a terminal and use the sudo command (for
instance, sudo kedit /mnt/hda1/screwed_up_file.txt) --
Knoppix will not ask you for a root password.

-Rob