[K12OSN] Help with yum update error

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Dec 14 15:13:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Petre Scheie wrote:

> Eric Harrison wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Paul Zagoridis wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get my head around this error for a few days without success.
>>> I basically can't run yum update
>>>
>>> I've tried (without success) # yum remove k12ltsp-extras
>>> then manually install the missing dependency # rpm -ivh (all three
>>> dependencies)
>>> followed by  # yum install k12ltsp-extras
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be welcome. We don't use IceWM either.
>>>

>>> # yum update
>>> Repository extras is listed more than once in the configuration
>>> Setting up Update Process
>>> Setting up repositories
>>> core                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
>>> dries                     100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>> freshrpms                 100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>> k12ltsp                   100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
>>> webmin                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>> extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
>>> newrpms.sunsite.dk        100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>> updates                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>> updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>> base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
>>> Reading repository metadata in from local files
>>> Resolving Dependencies
>>> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
>>> ---> Package icewm.i386 0:1.2.23-1.2.fc4.rf set to be updated
>>> --> Running transaction check
>>> --> Processing Dependency: icewm-l10n for package: k12ltsp-extras
>>> --> Processing Dependency: icewm-themes for package: k12ltsp-extras
>>> --> Processing Dependency: icewm-menu-gnome2 for package: k12ltsp-extras
>>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>>> Error: Missing Dependency: icewm-l10n is needed by package k12ltsp-extras
>>> Error: Missing Dependency: icewm-themes is needed by package k12ltsp-extras
>>> Error: Missing Dependency: icewm-menu-gnome2 is needed by package
>>> k12ltsp-extras
>>>

>> I see that you are using a couple of third-party repositories. The
>> conflict, in your case, comes from the "dries" repository you added.
>>
> Eric-
> How did you figure out that the dries repository is the source of the
> conflict?

1. There were two non-standard repositories in the yum output:

2. The yum output said it was going to update icewm:
>>> ---> Package icewm.i386 0:1.2.23-1.2.fc4.rf set to be updated

3. I googled for "icewm-1.2.23-1.2.fc4.rf" and saw that specific
    file was found in a repository called "dries".

4. I checked newrpms.sunsite.dk and it did not contain an
    icewm package.

Therefore, it must have been the "dries" repository.

If this were my own machine, I would have simply ran "yum list updates"
and seen which repository was the guilty party. Something like:

   # yum list updates | grep icewm
   icewm.i386                         0:1.2.23-1.2.fc4.rf          dries

-Eric