Re: [K12OSN] Help with yum update error

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Petre Scheie wrote:

Eric Harrison wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Paul Zagoridis wrote:

Hi All

I'm trying to get my head around this error for a few days without success. I basically can't run yum update

I've tried (without success) # yum remove k12ltsp-extras
then manually install the missing dependency # rpm -ivh (all three dependencies)
followed by  # yum install k12ltsp-extras

Any suggestions would be welcome. We don't use IceWM either.

# yum update
Repository extras is listed more than once in the configuration
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
core                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
dries                     100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
freshrpms                 100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
k12ltsp                   100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
webmin                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
newrpms.sunsite.dk        100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
updates                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package icewm.i386 0:1.2.23-1.2.fc4.rf set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: icewm-l10n for package: k12ltsp-extras
--> Processing Dependency: icewm-themes for package: k12ltsp-extras
--> Processing Dependency: icewm-menu-gnome2 for package: k12ltsp-extras
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: icewm-l10n is needed by package k12ltsp-extras
Error: Missing Dependency: icewm-themes is needed by package k12ltsp-extras
Error: Missing Dependency: icewm-menu-gnome2 is needed by package k12ltsp-extras

I see that you are using a couple of third-party repositories. The
conflict, in your case, comes from the "dries" repository you added.

Eric-
How did you figure out that the dries repository is the source of the conflict?

1. There were two non-standard repositories in the yum output:
dries                     100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00

2. The yum output said it was going to update icewm:
---> Package icewm.i386 0:1.2.23-1.2.fc4.rf set to be updated

3. I googled for "icewm-1.2.23-1.2.fc4.rf" and saw that specific
   file was found in a repository called "dries".

4. I checked newrpms.sunsite.dk and it did not contain an
   icewm package.

Therefore, it must have been the "dries" repository.

If this were my own machine, I would have simply ran "yum list updates"
and seen which repository was the guilty party. Something like:

  # yum list updates | grep icewm
  icewm.i386                         0:1.2.23-1.2.fc4.rf          dries

-Eric