[K12OSN] FYI article - MIT Picks Maker of $100 Laptop

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 21:24:52 UTC 2005

>From another article today, same topic:

"Partly because of this, some entrepreneurs, such as India's Rajesh
Jain, and some of India's leading academics have decided to tackle the
problem by deploying thin clients. Other companies are promoting
full-fledged, full-price computers that can be shared by communities.
To save energy, thin clients and PCs can run on car batteries or solar
panels."

I remain sceptical as well.  You know how hard it is to keep computers
in a lab working well and cared for.  I can't imagine putting a laptop
in the hands of a child with little computer experience and having it
be cared for.  Ultimately, will every child have a laptop in this
world?  I would imagine so (or at least in more advanced societies).
But seems like that is something that would have to be progressed
toward, and just giving them access to a computer in an environment
where they can be taught and the computers cared for would be much
more significant.

--
Steve Hargadon
916-899-1400 direct