[K12OSN] FYI article - MIT Picks Maker of $100 Laptop

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Thu Dec 15 00:15:26 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 at 4:36 PM +0000 wrote:

>> I suspect you are seriously underestimating the children of the world...
>>  this is a common mistake made by many adults.
>>
>> Bob
>>

>:)  No, I just have four children of my own!  And since I sell
>computers to schools, I hear all the horror stories from their labs...

Every single 7th and 8th grader in Maine has one....yes, there is
failure....not much of it from abuse....just wear and tear.  Laptop
manufacturers need to design laptops to withstand the rigors of children's
lives.  Life in a bookbag....life in a locker...etc.  The biggest point of
failure?  The video cable in the hinges.  Laptops need to be more modular
in design with more easily replaceable parts.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org