[K12OSN] FYI article - MIT Picks Maker of $100 Laptop

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Thu Dec 15 10:12:29 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 14 Dec 2005 21:33, Tom Hoffman wrote:

> On the other hand, having tried to support laptops in school myself, I
> can see that there's tons of room for improvement over the standard
> laptop design.  Use a beefy hinge, a power adapter reinforced by nylon
> webbing (i.e., the shoulder strap), batteries I can replace with
> standard C-cells, and the ability to easily mix and match cpu's and
> displays from broken machines, and you'll mitigate a lot of the
> current points of failure on laptops for kids.

Maybe kids should use something like this laptop
http://www.argoncorp.com/201lt.html :-) - I'm guessing it's pretty pricey
though.  Our school had a load of laptops once but they all very quickly
died.  The failures were battery (from always being plugged in), keyboards
(keys coming off) and the power lead failing close to the jack.  Laptaps are
generally OK if they are in the hands of only one user.
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation