[K12OSN] Using ibooks in conjunction with k12LTSP/debianedu servers

The school I work for is in the process of planning a serious technology overhaul. Given the recommendations of the independent consultant the board hired I am preparing to propose getting iBooks for the older students and the teaching staff, setting up the current lab of very old PIII dells using K12LTSP (or maybe the debianedu skolelinux distro??) for the K-4 students, and upgrading our current authentication/file/mail/web server (current running K12LTSP) to improve storage space and redundancy, and allow it to rackmount near the DSL modem so we can use it to proxy our network traffic as well. For the existing staff winboxes and the lab, samba, NIS, and NFS shares are/would be sufficient for providing centralized authentication and file shares. The big hang-up that I'm having right now is how I will get the laptops to authenticate and use network storage (so they can be backed up) when they are at school, while still allowing them to function when the older students and the teachers take them home. Any bright ideas on how to handle this. (I'm fairly certain that I can get LDAP or the new directory server setup, the question is how to handle the issue of different authentication/storage at different locations)