[K12OSN] Another upgrade question

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Sun Dec 18 20:36:41 UTC 2005

I think my hda is going bad.  It's got everything except /home on it and
fsck and smartd show up clean on it so far.  What's the easiest way to
clone that drive onto another drive?  is there some dd magic that will
just copy straight across and make the new one bootable and everything?
I'm running LVM2.  I've looked a bit at the documentation and it almost
looks like there would be a way using LVM to add a second drive and then
remove the first, but I'm a novice at LVM.

FYI - my problem is that my server crashes every night during the wee
hours of the morning.  Each morning I am greeted by a kernel panic
message.  Something about fs/dcache and a few other messages that I
don't understand.  It is in my freezing cold basement, and the case it
is in has some extra holes from CDROM bays that haven't been plugged.
Has anyone heard of 40 degree temperatures crashing servers when they
are idle?  I'm not positive, but I think I'm detecting a corelation
between how cold it is at night and how early in the night my server
crashes.

Thanks,

ck