[K12OSN] Looking for Contributors: California Educational Conference and LTSP / Open Source Software for Education

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 01:30:33 UTC 2005

I've just made arrangements to provide two LTSP labs at the Computer
Using Educators (CUE / www.cue.org) conference that is held annually
in Palm Springs, California.  We will be providing between 30 - 40
workstations that will be used for filling out conference evaluations,
printing airline boarding passes, and giving sessions on the use of
Open Source software in education.

There will probably be time for 7 x 1 hour sessions where we can
demonstrate Open Source softare that helps educators, including Open
Office, Firefox, Moodle, Mambo, Samba, Apache, MySQL, and more.  I'm
planning on a combination of some formal hands-on sessions and some
time when people can just play around and get help.  I ran a similar
lab this summer in Philadelphia at the NECC show with Jeff Elkner's
students, and am hoping someone on the list might like to bring some
students who are learning Linux/Open Source programs to help.

We'll have a very prominent spot in the exhibit hall and on the
program.  If you would be interested in giving a presentation, or in
bringing students to the show, would you please contact me directly?

They would also be really excited about having us add VOIP to the mix,
but I don't feel competent in that area.  Anyone (Jonathathan?  JAM?
Erick?) want a venue to demonstrate that?  Calling all Asterisk
gurus...

I'm also going to be looking for hardware suppliers to save me from
trying to truck everything from our location.  Any suggestions will be
welcomed.

Thanks,

Steve

--