[K12OSN] Using ibooks in conjunction with k12LTSP/debianedu

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Tue Dec 20 04:55:49 UTC 2005

> The school I work for is in the process of planning a serious
> technology overhaul. Given the recommendations of the independent
> consultant the board hired I am preparing to propose getting iBooks
> for the older students and the teaching staff, setting up the current
> lab of very old PIII dells using K12LTSP (or maybe the debianedu
> skolelinux distro??) for the K-4 students, and upgrading our current
> authentication/file/mail/web server (current running K12LTSP) to
> improve storage space and redundancy, and allow it to rackmount near
> the DSL modem so we can use it to proxy our network traffic as well.

Take this from someone who's used Macs in 1987 and has a house full of
them. Mac OS is even more closed than
Windows. It's beautiful, elegant and... proprietary.

Consider the following:
1) take a look at the freenx project. It may redefine remote access in
your mind.
2) PIIIs from 933 and above can easily serve 3 or 4 clients.