[K12OSN] Need help with next version of Fl_TeacherTool

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 05:02:38 UTC 2005

I have found that when I launch an app for my students with Fl_TT
(using "run") the app seems as though it's been run by the person
running Fl_TT. For example, if I run xterm for a student. The xterm
starts on the students comp but pwd says it's in the home dir of the
user (actually $LOGNAME) who is running Fl_TT (the teacher). So if I
become root with "su -", then the xterm starts in /root for the
student.
Thankfully the student has no permissions in this dir so they can't
even ls but I would prefer them to start with xterm in their own home.
Also the problem is not specific to xterm.

Fl_TT basically uses the following line to run an xterm for user johnsmith.

#export DISPLAY=ws252.ltsp:0.0 && su johnsmith -c 'xterm &'

Is there any modification I could use to fix this problem??? Any help
much appreciated.

--
Robert Arkiletian