Re: [K12OSN] Need help with next version of Fl_TeacherTool

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

I have found that when I launch an app for my students with Fl_TT
(using "run") the app seems as though it's been run by the person
running Fl_TT. For example, if I run xterm for a student. The xterm
starts on the students comp but pwd says it's in the home dir of the
user (actually $LOGNAME) who is running Fl_TT (the teacher). So if I
become root with "su -", then the xterm starts in /root for the
student.
Thankfully the student has no permissions in this dir so they can't
even ls but I would prefer them to start with xterm in their own home.
Also the problem is not specific to xterm.

Fl_TT basically uses the following line to run an xterm for user johnsmith.

#export DISPLAY=ws252.ltsp:0.0 && su johnsmith -c 'xterm &'

Is there any modification I could use to fix this problem??? Any help
much appreciated.

   # export DISPLAY=ws252.ltsp:0.0 && su -l johnsmith -c 'xterm &'
                                         ^^

The "-l" makes it a login shell for the user, which should chdir
to their home directory, etc:

   # su eharrison -c  pwd
   /root

   # su eharrison -l -c  pwd
   /home/eharrison

By default "su" nukes environment varibles. The $DISPLAY varible
seems to survive, but it might be better to set the $DISPLAY as
part of the su command:

   # su johnsmith -l -c "export DISPLAY=ws252.ltsp:0.0; xterm &"

-Eric