[K12OSN] OT: Hardware Hacking: Share one UPS between two computers

Peter Hartmann ascensiontech at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 19:01:00 UTC 2005

Thanks for all the ideas you guys.  I think I'm going going to
experiment with a custom serial cable first.

> and won't burn out your motherboard
> if you mess up.

You can't fry anything with a signal.   From what I understand serial
ports do not provide any power unlike USB and firewire (6 pin only).

And then if that doesn't pan out use the master/slave mode and make
the master the dmzbox.  Apparently you can make the slave poll the
master by domain name.

## apcupsd.conf v1.1 ##
     UPSCABLE ether
     UPSTYPE net
     LOCKFILE /var/lock
     DEVICE server-network-address:3551
     UPSCLASS standalone
     UPSMODE disable
     NETTIME 10

The only trouble I can foresee would come from the fact that we're
using dynamic dns.  I'm not exactly sure how long it takes to get
updated if our isp hands us a different ip address.  But what are the
chances of having that coincide with a power outage?

> Another route could be to try and copy /dev/tty0 to /dev/tty1 and then
> run up the UPS software - see if that works?

Jon, what do you mean by this?

Thanks all,
Peter