[K12OSN] Upgrading to 4.4.1 leaves me with grey screen, w/X on the clients

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Wed Dec 21 04:22:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Carl Keil wrote:

>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> Thank you Eric (and others) for your advice about upgrading.  I decided to try
>> a real upgrade instead of a clean install.  I think everything went pretty
>> well.  I had a few dependency issues and 1.2 gigs of yum upgrade after feeding
>> my server the 5 CDs!!!
>> But now my clients hang at the dreaded x cursor on the grey background.  I've
>> tried everything in this wiki page:
>> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Troubleshooting-GrayScreen to no
>> avail.  And almost everything needed to be changed according to what they
>> listed there.
>>
>> What other applicable conf files are likely to have been hosed in the upgrade?
>> Does anyone know?  I still get no results at all from running
>>
>> netstat -anp | grep ":177 "
>

>How exactly did you do the upgrade?
>
>By an "upgrade", it is usually meant booting off of disc1 and selecting
>the "Upgrade" option. It sounds like you used yum to do the upgrade
>instead.
>
>Yum gets the job done, often with a few dependancy headaches as you
>mention, but does not automatically run the post-install scripts that
>are executed when you do a "normal" upgrade. Try running this command
>and reboot:
>
> 	/opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/K12Linux-LTSP-initialize
>

>-Eric

Eric,

That's some command.  It worked like a charm.

I upgraded exactly as you suggested.  I slapped in the first CD, selected "upgrade".  Swapped out 5 CD's, then ran "yum upgrade" afterwards.  I'm starting to think that that was a typo on your part.  Usually I would run "yum update" after installing stuff off the 5 CD's.

Anyway, my server is back to serving now.  Still a few unrelated to k12ltsp problems to iron out, (The server does double duty as a LAMP box) but I think it'll be pretty easy now. Thanks to you.  I really appreciate your help.

ck