[K12OSN] Making an exact, bootable copy of a bootable hard drive

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Wed Dec 21 04:29:38 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have a k12ltsp v. 4.2.1 server that is acting strangely (see next
email).  I am wondering if there is a process for duplicating its main
hard drive.  I have 2 drives in the box, one is a new 120 gig drive for
/home and the other is a very old 13 gig drive for everything else.
What I'd like to do is copy the 13 gig drive to a newish 40 gig and see
if that solves my crashing problem.  Is there a way to do this with DD
or LVM from a ubuntu live disk, or knoppix or something?  How do I make
sure I copy all the partitions and boot sectors and all that?  The drive
is currently windows format, so I need a procedure that takes me from
fdisk through rebooting.  I've been doing linux for years, but I'm still
a newb.  I've googled for a procedure and found a few ways to do it for
other Linux distros, but not sure if I trust random pages off the internet.

TIA,

ck