[K12OSN] Making an exact, bootable copy of a bootable hard drive

Hello,

I have a k12ltsp v. 4.2.1 server that is acting strangely (see next email). I am wondering if there is a process for duplicating its main hard drive. I have 2 drives in the box, one is a new 120 gig drive for /home and the other is a very old 13 gig drive for everything else. What I'd like to do is copy the 13 gig drive to a newish 40 gig and see if that solves my crashing problem. Is there a way to do this with DD or LVM from a ubuntu live disk, or knoppix or something? How do I make sure I copy all the partitions and boot sectors and all that? The drive is currently windows format, so I need a procedure that takes me from fdisk through rebooting. I've been doing linux for years, but I'm still a newb. I've googled for a procedure and found a few ways to do it for other Linux distros, but not sure if I trust random pages off the internet.

TIA,

ck