Re: [K12OSN] Random system crashes: Linux gurus, what would you do?

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 22:51, Carl Keil wrote:
> I believe that my
> computer was broken into via webmin right before all this started
> happening(there was an unauthorized login as root from a church in
> town), but I couldn't find any signs of damage, other than my computer
> crashed the next day.

Chances are that parts of your system have been replaced, including
versions of ls, ps, and netstat that keep you from seeing
anything different.  You might try the rootkit hunter
http://www.rootkit.nl/projects/rootkit_hunter.html to
see if it can identify anything, but the safest approach
would be to reinstall from scratch.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com