[K12OSN] Making an exact, bootable copy of a bootable hard drive

steve gilmore stegil at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 21 13:38:41 UTC 2005

I have used both Ghost 4Unix (command line) & Ghost 4Linux (gui), available
via freshmeat.net. You boot up with this cd and it binary copies + compress
(dd + gz) to another drive,ftp site etc.. or restore. You should have a
network anonymous ftp site for your backups . I have been saved many times
by this . Also your reference to random crashes is exactly what was
happening to one of my servers. It was a failed HD.
But , a HD thats failing will be harder to binary copy due to bad sectors
that will probably be skipped , thus lost data.
SteveG