Re: [K12OSN] hard drive SCSI vs IDE-opinions

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 10:32, cisna-barry wc235 k12 il us wrote:

> The three secretaries mass email out dailey announcements( about 350
> users). So,, after they mass email it pulls down the email server for
> almost 10 mins.to were it is unaccessable.So hence as soon as this
> happens,,,phone rings>>"email is down yada,,yada".

If they send 350 individual messages from some client software
you could probably eliminate the problem by making an alias
on the server with the address list and having them send one
message to that group address.  Or you could run something
like mailman to handle the list on the server so someone
else could manage the addresses easily - and you could make
it 'moderated' if you don't want other people to be able
to send to the group.

> What will I be up against if ( over xmas vacation)if  i merelry recable
> the HD's to the SCSI interface/enable onboard SCSI, and reboot the box. Im
> guessing im going to not be bootable,,with out manually reconfiguring GRUB
> somehow?:(.

You'd have to rebuild the initrd image with the right scsi driver
to make that work.  An easier approach would be to add a scsi
disk with a new partition that you could mount as /var or
perhaps as the directory where postfix holds the outbound
queue.

> I know there are values that can be altered,,in Postfix,,as far as max
> processes,,etc,,,but Id like to leave these at defaults.

There are reasons you have configuration options - not everyone
has default needs.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les futuresource com