Re: [K12OSN] hard drive SCSI vs IDE-opinions

If I'm reading this correctly your mail server scanning internal email for spam/viruses. Is there anyway to disable spam/virus checks for internal email? Sounds like this is causing  your performance issue.

If your client virus definitions are kept up to date there's not much of a risk of viruses spreading via email. If anyone within your organization is sending spam to other internal users, then a proverbial smack on the side of the head should fix the problem.

This is what we did at my last comany. We had 2 SMTP servers which handled internet email, scanning incoming internet email for spam & viruses, but only scanned internet outbound email for virues. Internal email was not scanned, we never had an issue with viruses spreading via internal email.

user1 yourdomain -> user2 yourdomain - not scanned for viruses or spam
user1 yourdomain -> user someinternetaddress - scanned for viruses only
user someinternetaddress -> user1 yourdomain - scanned for viruses and spam

-Nick