[K12OSN] VLC on K12LTSP 4.4.1

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Dec 21 22:23:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 16:01, Kevin wrote:
> Greetings,
> I am rebuilding some K12LTSP installations our school district currently
> maintains and gearing up to take an entire school building 95%+ with
> linux terminals.  Part of the requirements for the installation are .wmv
> and .qt capable plugins for mozilla/firefox and a stand-alone video
> playback application.
>
> I have chosen vlc (VideoLan-Client) because of it's cross-platform
> nature. It is use on our Win and OSX systems already and will provide a
> fairly transparent experience for the user.
>
> All of this being said, I am having a monster of a time installing it.
> Installing from an RPM gives a huge laundry list of missing lib
> dependencies and installing through yum (by adding the appropriate
> freshmeat.repo) results in the following error msg:
>
> file /etc/yum.repos.d/freshrps.repo from install of
> freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc conflicts with file from package
> k12ltsp-release-4.4.1-1
>
> I have done my best to search for a resolution but have come up empty.
> Hopefully someone on the list has some experience in this area and can
> guide me.  Else, I am willing to resolve the listed dependencies on a
> case by case basis.  Suggestions?

Enable the livna repository in yum and:
yum install vlc
The fedora extras repository must also be enabled, and you
may have to remove anything that conflicts that you have installed
from other repositories, including freshrpms.  Livna and extras
are built so they don't conflict and livna's dependencies can
be resolved by core and extras packages.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com