Re: [K12OSN] Making an exact, bootable copy of a bootable hard drive

steve gilmore wrote:
I have used both Ghost 4Unix (command line) & Ghost 4Linux (gui), available via freshmeat.net. You boot up with this cd and it binary copies + compress (dd + gz) to another drive,ftp site etc.. or restore. You should have a network anonymous ftp site for your backups . I have been saved many times by this . Also your reference to random crashes is exactly what was happening to one of my servers. It was a failed HD. But , a HD thats failing will be harder to binary copy due to bad sectors that will probably be skipped , thus lost data.
SteveG

Another great imaging option is Systemimager. It uses rsync, you can make customizable boot floppies, and, well, it rocks.

http://www.systemimager.org/

--scott