[K12OSN] VLC on K12LTSP 4.4.1

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 02:50:48 UTC 2005

On 12/21/05, Kevin <kevin at twofoos.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
> I am rebuilding some K12LTSP installations our school district currently
> maintains and gearing up to take an entire school building 95%+ with
> linux terminals.  Part of the requirements for the installation are .wmv
> and .qt capable plugins for mozilla/firefox and a stand-alone video
> playback application.

You can get the codecs here
http://mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

> I have chosen vlc (VideoLan-Client) because of it's cross-platform
> nature. It is use on our Win and OSX systems already and will provide a
> fairly transparent experience for the user.

On a sad note there are forces at play to hinder FOSS like VideoLAN.
Although I don't understand the details. This is my take.
The EU is adopting a similar DMCA type law, the EUCD. But as an
addition in France (lobbied by big media) they are also adding an
addendum which makes DRM mandatory for distributed media. Let's hope
this doesn't pass.
http://www.videolan.org/eucd.html
Basically it's going to make it difficult to use libdvdcss which one
needs to play DVD's.

--
Robert Arkiletian