Re: [K12OSN] RAID advice

Sudev Barar wrote:
On 12/22/05, William Fragakis <william fragakis com> wrote:
We are building our first mondo server (dual core P4 3.0 ghz) and I
wanted some ideas on what (and how) directories to put on the RAID
(striped for speed, we have a file server elsewhere). I have a separate
disk for the boot directory since I'll be using a fake SATA RAID on the
motherboard. We want to serve about 35-40 desktops with the set up.

IMHO
With /home elsewhere on nfs what benefits are expected from raid? A
SCSI drive may be better bet IAC than SATA (raid or no raid)

Here's a benefit for using raid..... UPTIME!

With raid, if a drive fails, the system keeps running. without raid, it dies a horrible death, and the users are sitting there wondering what to do.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org

--
Sudev Barar