Re: [K12OSN] RAID advice

Jim McQuillan wrote:

Sudev Barar wrote:

On 12/22/05, William Fragakis <william fragakis com> wrote:
We are building our first mondo server (dual core P4 3.0 ghz) and I
wanted some ideas on what (and how) directories to put on the RAID
(striped for speed, we have a file server elsewhere). I have a separate
disk for the boot directory since I'll be using a fake SATA RAID on the
motherboard. We want to serve about 35-40 desktops with the set up.

IMHO
With /home elsewhere on nfs what benefits are expected from raid? A
SCSI drive may be better bet IAC than SATA (raid or no raid)

Here's a benefit for using raid..... UPTIME!

With raid, if a drive fails, the system keeps running. without raid, it dies a horrible death, and the users are sitting there wondering what to do.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org

But he's talking about striping (RAID 0), not mirroring (RAID 1). If he stripes, and one of the drives dies, the system will die. That's why RAID 5, striping & parity, makes so much sense if you have enough disks If he's only got two disks, I'd go with RAID 1, mirroring, to get the redundancy and uptime.

Petre