[K12OSN] RAID advice

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Dec 22 15:04:28 UTC 2005

Jim McQuillan wrote:

> Sudev Barar wrote:
>
>> On 12/22/05, William Fragakis <william at fragakis.com> wrote:
>>

>>> We are building our first mondo server (dual core P4 3.0 ghz) and I
>>> wanted some ideas on what (and how) directories to put on the RAID
>>> (striped for speed, we have a file server elsewhere). I have a separate
>>> disk for the boot directory since I'll be using a fake SATA RAID on the
>>> motherboard. We want to serve about 35-40 desktops with the set up.
>>>

>> IMHO
>> With /home elsewhere on nfs what benefits are expected from raid? A
>> SCSI drive may be better bet IAC than SATA (raid or no raid)
>>

> Here's a benefit for using raid..... UPTIME!
>
> With raid, if a drive fails, the system keeps running.  without raid, it
> dies a horrible death, and the users are sitting there wondering what to
> do.
>
> Jim McQuillan
> jam at Ltsp.org

But he's talking about striping (RAID 0), not mirroring (RAID 1).  If he stripes, and
one of the drives dies, the system will die.  That's why RAID 5, striping & parity,
makes so much sense if you have enough disks  If he's only got two disks, I'd go with
RAID 1, mirroring, to get the redundancy and uptime.

Petre