[K12OSN] Re: Random system crashes: Linux gurus, what would you do?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Dec 23 00:31:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 18:22, Carl Keil wrote:

> I tried the rootkit hunter and it turned up absolutely no trace
> of a rootkit.  I know this isn't definitive, but I think I'm
> going to cross my fingers and hope for the best.  I've changed
> the root password, and now I turn webmin on via ssh when I need
> it and shut it down when I'm through.  Thanks for suggesting
> this program.  I'm beginning to suspect that the hacking and
> the crashing are just an odd coincidence.

One other thing you might want to try for additional peace
of mind is ntop (http://www.ntop.org).  Among other things,
it will track connections to other sites and the ports
used.  It is common for rootkits to establish connections
back to some controlling site and supply a doctored netstat
that won't show it. Even if it doesn't show any hacking it
provides some interesting summaries of network use.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com