[K12OSN] Tl_TeacherTool tribulations

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 22:18:58 UTC 2005

On 12/30/05, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
> FYI, the Lock/Launch screensaver button didn't work with the one Mac client I tested it
> with.  I haven't tried it with any PC clients yet.

Try typing this at the mac client.

$'xscreensaver -no-splash &
$xscreensaver-command -lock &

Let me know if this works.

> Any chance Chuck's X11VNC stuff, as described at
> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/WorkInProgress#x11vnc
> can be incorporated in a future release?  The VNCReflector gives us the inverse, of
> pushing a window out for all users to see.  But being able to see what's on a given
> client's screen would be really useful, too.

I agree this would be a cool feature. I thought about adding this
before 0.2. But I was hesitant because it means modifying/playing
around with the default k12ltsp setup (considering all clients have to
run a type of vnc server ( x11vnc) and also enable some local app
support and editing lts.conf ). I'll take a closer look at this but I
still feel broadcasting is more useful than monitoring/taking control.
Now that I got rid of the xhost issue, installing fl_tt does not
modify a standard k12ltsp setup. The only optional modification is if
you want non superusers (say teachers) to run fl_tt by adding a
specific group to sudo.
--
Robert Arkiletian