[K12OSN] Tl_TeacherTool tribulations

Immanuel Derks I.Derks at translucent.nl
Sat Dec 31 11:41:20 UTC 2005

Even cooler would be to be able to use the standard remote desktop
feature already build into Fedora/RHES. I don't know if that is
technicaly possible but as far as I know it is derivate vnc code.
That way there is no need to tinker with the default LTSP setup.

We got the Fl_TeacherTool working for monitoring by incorporating xvnc
during bootup of the clients, editing a vncpasswd etc etc.

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 14:59 -0600, Petre Scheie wrote:
> This is really cool!  Thanks, Robert!
>
> FYI, the Lock/Launch screensaver button didn't work with the one Mac client I tested it
> with.  I haven't tried it with any PC clients yet.
>
> Any chance Chuck's X11VNC stuff, as described at
> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/WorkInProgress#x11vnc
> can be incorporated in a future release?  The VNCReflector gives us the inverse, of
> pushing a window out for all users to see.  But being able to see what's on a given
> client's screen would be really useful, too.
>
> Petre
>
> Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>   > Eric is including fl_tt into k12ltsp so you don't have to compile it
> > yourself. Just a simple
> >
> > #yum install fl_teachertool
> >
> > should work for k12ltsp 4.4.1 and 4.2.1EL. If you are running an
> > earlier version then yes you will need to install the compiler and
> > install it manually until Eric adds it to those versions yum repos.
> > But I would recommend you wait a few days. I am just about to release
> > version 0.21 (probably) tommorrow. I'm pretty much finished it but I'm
> > just testing now. 0.21 has some nice fixes.  *No more xhost needed*
> > which closes a big security hole.
> > Plus some fixes to the new  distribute file function.
> > --
> > Robert Arkiletian
> > C++ GUI tutorial http://fltk.org/links.php?V19

Immanuel Derks <I.Derks at translucent.nl>