[K12OSN] desktop lockdown

Adam Melancon adammelancon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 15:55:31 UTC 2005

I don't know if you are having them login as individual users, but
there is always kiosk mode which I'm using at the library here.
http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/GDMKiosKMode

There were some catches, so I wrote down what I did to get around them.
http://www.vermilion.lib.la.us/sysadminsite/k12ltspkioskmode/

The way that I have it setup is that the computer auto logs in using
the workstation name.  The people can do and change anything they want
on the desktop, but when they logout and it auto logs back in, the
/home/$WORKSTATIONNAME folder is blown out and replaced from /etc/skel
which resets the desktop back to the original setup.

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:40:42 -0800, Dan Young
<dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 10:10 -0500, Will Hatch wrote:
> > I would like to lock down my students desktops so they cannot change
> > wallpaper, delete/add icons, delete/add taskbars ect.  Is there an
> > easy way to do this and if so, how?  We are using Gnome. Thanks.
>
> http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/2.6/system-admin-guide.html
>
> Note the sections on mandatory preferences.
>
> --
> Dan Young <dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us>
> Parkrose School District

Adam Melancon