[K12OSN] Using LDAP account Manager with the smbldap-installer script / Batch user creation with custom home directories

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 16:35:18 UTC 2005

This afternoon I started testing Samba 3 with a LDAP using the excellent
smbldap-installer script from

http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux/smbldap/index.htm and the K12LTSP 4.2.0
install CD's

I have it all installed everything and initial tests look like everything is
working.

One of the things we do when we create users is to place there home
directory inside directories relating to what tutor group they are in so for
example

/home_student/tutorgroups/101/e000000

The e000000 bit is there college enrollment number which is unique and
generated as they enroll and stays with them as the move years.

I batch creation script provided do give you some control but I couldn't see
of anyway of altering where the home directory was stored so I looked at the
LDAP account manager from sourceforge.net

This seemed to give me some control but before I could test it I had to run
the config wizard and fell at the third screen. It asks for the

      Please enter the suffixes of your LDAP tree where LAM should store the
accounts.

      UserSuffix:
      GroupSuffix:
      HostSuffix:
      DomainSuffix:

The first 3 I could workout but I'm unsure as to the last one
(DomainSuffix), I tried just domains, Domain Copmuters, sambaDomainName but
to no avail it kept coming back

The following suffix(es) are missing in LDAP. LAM will create them for you.

Any idea's please

Brian Chivers
Portsmouth College