[K12OSN] dual boot MBR, hdb question

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Wed Feb 2 11:23:13 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm not teaching this year.  I've waited tables, painted houses, and,
now, I am working part-time for a software and technology development
company.
It's all proprietary stuff for the medical industry.  I've signed
non-disclosures, etc.  They have me editing software on tools that are
windows specific (becuase they are graphical tools.  Obviously, I could
edit code on any text editor).
So, I had an extra 15gb drive hanging around., set it up as hdb and have
installed XP on it (connected via that now, despite the fact that I have
not installed a firewall or AV software yet on this drive...risky, eh?
At least I'm using Moz mail, not LookOUT!)
Anyway, I disconnected my main drive (to avoid any possibly silly
errors) and installed as though the hdb were the first drive.
My question is, when I reconnect my main drive (with K12 4.0.1, soon to
be upgraded to 4.2, as soon as I backup sometime this week),
can I simply edit Lilo and add an entry for the purposes of booting XP
from the hdb?
At this point, I am opening the case and disconnecting the first drive
to boot the second, a pita.
Also, I have mounted a windows partition in a dual boot system (3 years
ago.  At this point, I have not had windows at home for that 3 years).
Will mounting the windows drive on the separate hdd be a simple as it
was when it was a partition on the same drive?
I have to say that I've been spoiled and have only worked with a single
boot linux system for the past three years, so these issues have grown
foggy.
If mounting the second drive is as simple as mounting a windows
partition, and editing Lilo will allow me to boot it, I can proceed on
my own.
I just thought I'd ask before attempting and possibly hosing my MBR or
anything.

tony