[K12OSN] Icon / Theme weirdness

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Feb 3 14:12:50 UTC 2005

Some things to look at, in no particular order: Can she create files in her home
directory when it's mounted on 3?  Should she be getting the Blue Curve  icons,
etc. by default when she logs in on 3?  I don't know the specific files that
control Gnome's look that would be in her home directory, but can she change
them by hand, change permissions on them by hand, etc.?  When she tries that (or
you try it logged in as her), does chmod produce an error?  Or does it return no
error, but permissions of the files don't change?  Or do they change, but she
still can't change the icons through some graphical method?  Since it's working
for everyone else's account, you might consider saving her data files off
somewhere, wiping out her account, recreate the account, see if the problem is
fixed, then copy her data files back in, and then check it again.  I've
occassionally run into situations where a user somehow created a file in his
home directory that caused problems sort of like this.

Petre