[K12OSN] Managing identical logins...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Feb 3 17:05:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 10:33, Petre Scheie wrote:
> Change is sometimes hard for people, teachers moreso than students, as has been
> observed many times on this list.  Tom recognizes that having everyone share the
> same ID is a bad policy, but as he said, he's not the policy maker. I think the
> *policy* task at hand is to plant the seeds with the teachers and policy makers
> about why the current policy is bad and first get them to see that the present
> practice has some vulnerabilities, which--knock on wood--haven't resulted in any
> disasters so far.  As I recall, these are middle-school students.

If I had cut-n-paste access to everyone else's work when I was in middle
school I don't think I would have ever bothered to do anything original.
Somehow I find it hard to believe that at a policy level the school
can't be bothered to track what individuals are doing - and that is
exactly how to describe it.  Perhaps when the computers were first
added they were just toys and didn't justify individual attention but
I'd guess that they are somewhat important in the education process
these days.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com