[K12OSN] upgrade troubles (4.0.1 to 4.2)...xorg issue? possible kernel issue?

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Fri Feb 4 19:56:54 UTC 2005

mark at msdigitaldzines.com wrote:

>Quoting anthony baldwin <anthonybaldwin at snet.net>:
>

>>mark at msdigitaldzines.com wrote:
>>

>>>Quoting anthony baldwin <anthonybaldwin at snet.net>:
>>>I had the same problem, do you get the login screen?
>>>
>>>if you do, the default is termal base xwindow, first time I've ever seen it,
>>>

>>any
>>

>>>at the login screen change your session.
>>>

>>NO...I don't even get the login screen.
>>I just get nothingness...A big, black hole of nothingness...
>>Kind of like my bank account...
>>

>Yea, I got that to, I found out I just put in the wrong resolution settings for
>my monitor, I was out of range, the way i fixed it....reinstall.

Well, now, that's odd, becuase I never even got the choice to manipulate
those settings.
In fact, the FC3 install didn't give me a lot of choices that I remember
having in every other K12 install I've ever done.
I didn't get to choose display settings, so I assumed it would go with
the present settings, which, obviously,
have been working for me for quite some time.  In fact, I recall the
xorg.conf only showing possible modes
that I believe are possible with this monitor (i've basically been using
the max possible.).
I didn't get to choose what packages to install or upgrade, as I am used
to.  I assume it just detected what was already
installed and upgraded eveerything there (except the kernel, for some
unknown reason, unless 2.4.22 is still default for FC3.
I was expecting a 2.6 kernel.  Guess that shows how much I've been
keeping track of these things).

Maybe a fresh install will give me those options?  Your reinstall fixed
the problem?
Was it a fresh install or an upgrade?

tony