[K12OSN] Help....smbldap-installer and roaming profiles....I need help to fix

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Sat Feb 5 06:54:39 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I really need your help.  This is a show-stopping bug for me and I can't
seem to figure it out (and I may be panicking a little).  Here's the deal.
 I load a server....K12LTSP 4.2...."Everything" install.  I run the
smbldap-installer script.  All runs fine.  I add some users....no problem.
 Join a Windows XP box to the domain...works fine.  Then I try to log on
to that Windows machine with a username that I created on the Samba/LDAP
server....it logs on fine, but then Windows gives me a box with  something
like Windows is unable to load profile...using a temporary profile (and
indeed it is as it vanishes the moment I log off)...says I may not have
permission to add to the profiles folder.  I can't seem to find anything
wrong....or different that would prevent all this.  I am a little curious
as to whether there is something amiss with the Administrator user.
Here's something I've found....it may be nothing...or it may be
everything....

when I run     getent passwd     on my current functioning Samba/LDAP
server (production box...pre smbldap-installer) I get ...

Administrator:x:0:512:Netbios Domain Administrator:/home/:/bin/false

Where as on a machine I just set up with smbldap-installer....I get...

Administrator:x:0:512:Netbios Domain
Administrator:/home/Administrator:/bin/false

Note the difference in "home".  Are you guys seeing this?  I'm having
issue running programs like gedit as it wants to write to
/home/Administrator, but it isn't there.   I wonder if this is
contributing?

Anyway...I could really use some help trying to debug this
situation....not only for me, but for all of us.  Plus I'm supposed to be
teaching a class about it in 2 weeks....(hence the panicking)....I tested
everything except roaming profiles and never would have even thought to
check if it hadn't been for Jim K.  I have a functioning Samba/LDAP server
already thus I hadn't needed to try it, but I do need to fix this as I run
Windows roaming profiles and will need it to work when I upgrade this
summer.  Arrrgghhh!   Any help gratefully appreciated....If you go to
Linux World I'll buy you a beer.  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School