[K12OSN] network design

Sharon Betts sbetts at msad71.net
Sat Feb 5 13:29:50 UTC 2005

Hello everyone -- can I get a discussion going to help me sort out my
plans?

I would like some input on my network design.  I have 4 schools and a
business office; 3000 users; and over 1000 machines (growing by leaps and
bounds as we work toward one-to-one).   Presently I am using Active
Directory (Windows -- ugh) for authentication, DHCP etc.  Only have linux
servers in the background (proxy, web server, etc.).   I use mostly open
source software although there are occassions where MS stuff is necessary.

We just began using terminal services (linux terminals attaching to
Windows server) in a new building.   I want to redesign the rest of the
network to terminals. Of course the MS solution is cost prohibitive.
What is my best mode of attack?  We presently boot the terminals
individually from flash memory.
I could go on, but would like to open this up to your brainstorming.  What
would YOU do in my situation?

Sharon
MSAD#71 Director of Educational Technology
sbetts at msad71.net          http://www.msad71.net     207-985-1100
"To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
Robert Orben