[ok-mail] [K12OSN] network design

John Hansknecht jhansknecht at hanstech.com
Sat Feb 5 14:00:44 UTC 2005

On Saturday 05 February 2005 08:29, Sharon Betts wrote:
> SNIP
> We just began using terminal services (linux terminals attaching to
> Windows server) in a new building.   I want to redesign the rest of the
> network to terminals. Of course the MS solution is cost prohibitive.
> What is my best mode of attack?  We presently boot the terminals
> individually from flash memory.
> I could go on, but would like to open this up to your brainstorming.  What
> would YOU do in my situation?

Definitely take a look at K12LTSP (k12ltsp.org) and LTSP (ltsp.org). Running
Linux terminals on a Linux server is much less expensive. We have switched
our students and faculty to OpenOffice and this allows the base setup to be
linux terminal clients. I still use rdesktop connect to a Windows 2003
terminal server for those Windows applications that I haven't found a
suitable open source replacement for (or haven't yet sold our faculty on the
open source application.)

--

Thanks,

John

 system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.
                - Mattrol at uscom.com (Drakmere)