[K12OSN] Wine, IE6 and Java

richard ingalls aslansreturn at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 16:50:09 UTC 2005

--- Brian Beck <Linux_Man at comcast.net> wrote:

> Mark Cockrell wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >    I recently managed to get Internet Explorer 6
> working using WINE and
> > WineTools, but I can't seem to get Java working
> with it.  I'm getting a
> > message saying that there's not enough memory to
> install the Java
> > Virtual Machine.  We need to use this for some
> online testing, and I'm
> > hoping to be able to use our thin-client labs.
> Any (constructive)
> > thoughts are welcome. (No "Microsoft is evil"
> stuff, please.)
> >

> Why, in the name of God, would you ever run that
> insecure POS on a Linux
> system?  Seriously.  Just get Firefox working before
> someone hacks your
> system.

I'll tell you why... At least in Missouri, where I'm
an educator, the State Department of Education, and
their "genius" web-programmers, in their infinte
wisdom have chosen to use propietary (M$) formats for
their web-apps and file formats, etc...  So when you
try to access certain pages from Mozilla you will get
error messages and NOT be able to accomplish your
tasks.  They ONLY work in IE!  So we are forced to
have IE on our systems.

I'd like to know all the details as to how you got IE
working on your server.  It would sure come in handy
when we try to access those pages from our Linux labs.
 At this point, I tell the teachers they will have to
access that from our Windows lab instead.

Anyone know how to get Macromedia Shockwave/Director
working on Linux boxes?