[K12OSN] Making K12LTSP "school friendly"

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Feb 7 23:08:22 UTC 2005

> Well, what's everyone (else) waiting for? ;)
>
> Should we perhaps 'advertise' this movement on the K12LTSP site or elsewhere
> (like DesktopLinux.com or *cringe* Slashdot), or is everyone who'd be
> influencial already on this list?

If the software companies run their business like I run mine my guess is it is
all hinging on numbers we don't have yet.  I am sure there are plenty of
statistics for how many Windows and Mac users there are.  But just like was
discussed on this list last week there probably isn't as many numbers backing
up Linux or K12LTSP.  So right now they can calculate how much income would
could possibly be gained at x amount for software multiplied by %y of
available users z.  If we could give them an idea of how large a number z is
maybe they could see a real potential which will drive them down this road.
Right now I suppose they know where the road of MS and Mac will lead them.
Maybe it is as simple as paving a road with real statistics on systems,
workstations, in service.  And they may also be shy due to the push for free
open source software.  The general expectation from most linux users is if the
os is free, and most software is free, why would I buy any, lets find a free
version.  I am all for free and open source, but in order for them to want to
produce software for this market maybe we need to somehow convey a willingness
to pay for task specific software, without the release of the source (the
response for saying that will most likely hurt).  Not that I am for that, but
if I have a company that has made a certain task specific software for x
amount of years, the thought of having to release all of the code to move to
another platform would most likely stear me clear and hang out supporting
platforms where my code can remain anonymous.

I think these are most likely the hurdles we are facing.  And a single person
or group most likely won't spead as loud as statistics.  Luckily with some big
compaines taking on Linux and mainstream commercials by comanies such as IBM
should be starting to get their attention.