[K12OSN] RE: RE: smbldap-installer v. 1.2-gamma - gnome login "problem"

Matt Oquist moquist-k12osn at majen.net
Wed Feb 9 00:35:28 UTC 2005

> From: "Mark Sarria" <mes4294 at lausd.k12.ca.us>
> I have the same problem

Apparently the problem you saw was that you hadn't rebooted, and (for
some reason I don't yet understand) LDAP wasn't properly initialized
to do authentication.

But you might also see a message like this: "The system administrator
has disabled your account".  That message comes from the user's shell
being set to /bin/false:
[root at ltsp ~]# getent passwd | grep tcat
tcat:x:1006:513:Tom Cat:/home/tcat:/bin/false

To change that if you wish:
[root at ltsp ~]# export PATH=$PATH:/opt/IDEALX/sbin/
[root at ltsp ~]# smbldap-usermod  -s /bin/bash tcat
[root at ltsp ~]# getent passwd | grep tcat
tcat:x:1006:513:Tom Cat:/home/tcat:/bin/bash

Uh-oh.  I thought that was going to fix it but it didn't.  I can still
log in from Windoze just fine, but tcat can't ssh into my ltsp box or
log in through the GUI.

I tried rebooting and it made no difference.

My turn to ask for help - anybody have any ideas?

--matt